Electric Aggregation Program


The City of Worthington has had an electric aggregation program since 2019 after voters approved the City as an electric aggregator, giving the City the go-ahead to pool the community’s electricity buying power. The goals of the City’s electric aggregation program are to lower household electric bills and increase renewable (green) energy usage. 

In March 2023, Worthington renewed the electric aggregation program with AEP Energy at a rate of 6.935¢ per kWh for the period of June 2023 through June 2025. 

This new rate of 6.935¢ per kWh is just 1.749¢ per kWh more than the last contract period and will save the average resident almost 40% compared to AEP Ohio’s anticipated 11.5¢ per kWh rate starting in June 2023. 

100% of the energy consumed with Worthington's program is offset by investments in wind Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs). 66% of these wind RECs are from facilities in Iowa and the remaining 34% are from Texas. 

Under the program, utility company AEP Ohio continues to carry, service and bill for the electricity service. The only change is in the generation source of the electricity which is identified as AEP Energy on the bill.


Residents and small businesses who were not previously eligible, but now qualify for the program, received this letter in the mail in April 2023. They were automatically enrolled in the program unless they chose to opt-out following the instructions in the letter.

Residents who wish to opt-in or opt-out may do so anytime by calling AEP Energy at 1-888-549-9008. 

Check your eligibility and sign up online.

Read the answers to frequently asked questions

More information from Energy Alliances

Quarterly Performance Reports

The City of Worthington also purchases RECs to offset the City's carbon footprint for electricity used in City facilities. These reports document how RECs purchased by the City support wind energy resources. 

Green Power Community Designation

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has designated the Worthington community as a Green Power Community. By collectively switching to renewable, zero-emissions electricity, our community is reducing its carbon footprint, supporting the deployment of cleaner energy alternatives, and demonstrating to residents, peers, and stakeholders that green power is a key component of best practice environmental management. As a Green Power Community, EPA supports and promotes our community's renewable energy leadership.

Learn more about the Green Power Partnership

Worthington OH GPC Certificate 2020