- Parks & Recreation
- Projects & Initiatives
- McCord Park Renovation Project
McCord Park Renovation Project
The City of Worthington completed a Parks Master Plan in 2017 that identified the renovation of McCord Park as one of its most critical park improvements. The plan identified specific improvements to be considered, including replacing the playground, adding a circular multi-use trail, replacing the aging restroom facilities, and more.
City Council approved funding to develop the McCord Park Master Plan which would engage the public and stakeholders about what they would like to see in the renovation. At the completion of the planning process in 2018, City Council approved a Conceptual Master Plan which identified the desired amenities to be included in the park renovations. This plan served as the guide for the design phase and park amenities including the playground, restroom, shelter houses, and more.
The City of Worthington contracted with POD Design, LLC on the final design and project management for bidding and construction.
McCord Park by the Numbers
- About 1,250 summer camp participants use McCord Park each year.
- About 1,100 preschool and youth participants in Community Center programming use the park each year.
- Approximately 9,000 people attend annual events in the park each year including Touch a Truck, National Night Out, and Paws in the Park.
- An average of 148 kids per week visit the Community Center as part of local daycares, school groups, camps, etc.
- The McCord Park ball diamonds and soccer fields were available to be reserved for 198 days in 2017. At least one of those fields was reserved on 193 of those days. On average the park has 1,900 visits per week (players only) because of field permits. Adding parents, siblings, and spectators that number would at least double to 3,800 per week.
- The Community Garden currently has 30 plots rented.
Residents are encouraged to bookmark this page and check back regularly for updates. You can also contact the Worthington Parks and Recreation Department at 614-436-2743 for more information.
Phase One - COMPLETED - October 17, 2022
- Replacement of playground equipment and safety surface
- Enlarging the athletic turf field and expanding parking opportunities
- Two reservable shelter houses
- Development and creation of a train observation area
- Addition of a multi-use trail around the Community Center that will eventually encircle the entire park in Phase Two
Phase Two - Under Construction
We're excited to share an update on the progress we've made during the first month of construction on Phase II renovations at McCord Park! Here's a summary of our achievements so far:
- Safety Fencing: To prioritize everyone's safety, we have implemented protective fencing around the construction area.
- Demolition: The existing fencing, restrooms, and other facilities have been cleared to make way for the new design.
- Clearing: The asphalt around the parking area has been extracted, creating space for future developments.
- Preparation: Currently, we are focused on leveling and preparing the ground for the construction of the new ball diamonds and restroom/storage facility.
The project is on schedule, but there's still much more to look forward to in Phase II of the renovation. Keep an eye out for the fields to begin taking shape and the footprint of the trail layout to start to be visible!