Recycling is provided at no additional charge to residents who receive the City of Worthington's solid waste collection service. All of Worthington's recyclables are dropped off at Rumpke's Material Recovery Facility for sorting. Residents are provided one 65 gallon recycling cart free of charge. Residents should place all recyclable items such as paper, cardboard and plastic, glass bottles and metal cans loose in the same bin.
DO NOT BAG RECYCLABLE ITEMS. Bags of any sort pose a danger to the recycling facility and will be taken to the SWACO landfill for disposal. This not only increases the carbon footprint of collection by adding another truck to haul the items to the landfill, but also increases the cost of recycling service. As much as 15% of all items received at the recycling facility are taken to the landfill.
Watch the Recycle Right Webinar
In case you missed it... the City of Worthington partnered with the Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio (SWACO) to answer all of your recycling questions during a live webinar on December 8, 2021. Watch the webinar here
Read more about why it's time to recycle right
Changes for 2022
- Aluminum / bi-metal beverage cans
- Chipboard - Detergent boxes and dry packaged food boxes (remove all plastic linings)
- Corrugated cardboard flattened
- Glass bottles and jars from food or drinks
- Juice boxes, not including the straw
- Paper, plastic and aluminum cups
- Newspapers, magazines and catalogs
- Wrapping paper (no foil wrapping or embellishment)
- Office, school and fax papers
- Phone books, junk mail and envelopes
- Plastic bottles, jugs, butter and sour cream tubs, yogurt cups
- Steel food and aerosol cans (remove tips)
- Plastic bags
- Tanglers including hangers, hoses, chains, electronics, clothing
- Cardboard items not flattened
- Paper towels, napkins and tissues
- Party and Styrofoam cups
- Coffee cup lids
- k-cup single-use coffee pods
- Plastics such as take-out containers, flower pots and shipping materials
- Styrofoam, ribbon and diapers
- Windows, mirrors, pots and pans
- Fast food wrappers
- Foil and disposable pie pans and roasters
Additional Recycling Information
- The large red carts provided by Local Waste are for recycling only.
- Recyclables should be placed loose in the cart. Bagged recyclables will not be collected.
Many other items, such as gently used appliances, furniture, clothing, salvaged building materials and electronics, can be recycled at various drop-off centers throughout Central Ohio.