Remove Possible Unintentional Food Sources
- Clean up any pet waste daily.
- Store any food kept outside or in your garage in rat and mice-proof containers, such as galvanized cans with tight-fitting lids.
- Pick up any fallen tree fruit or garden vegetables.
Correct Management of Trash and Recycling
- Place trash and recycling out weekly for pickup. Do not allow trash to accumulate on your property.
- Bag your trash and don’t overfill your trash container to be sure the lid is securely closed.
- Place containers at the curb no sooner than the evening prior to your regular collection day.
- Once collected, return trash containers to an enclosure, such as a garage or shed.
The Correct Way to Compost
- Pick a compost bin made of hard plastic with a secure lid.
- Rodent proof your enclosure or compost bin.
- The compost bin should be the furthest distance possible from your home (taking care not to place it close to a neighbor’s home).
- Follow recommended practices for effectively maintaining a compost bin.
Maintain Your Yard
- Don’t let yard waste piles accumulate (leaves, branches, brush, etc.).
- Regularly cut grass and weeds in the growing season.
- Haul away any leftover building/project materials.
- Stack firewood on racks or pallets that are at least six inches off the ground.