International News & Resources
The Worthington International Friendship Association is committed to staying connected and providing relevant cultural information and resources during this time of social distancing. We invite you to learn more via the links below and continue to check back as new content will be added on an ongoing basis.
Japan’s Blue Impulse Aerobatic Team Salutes Medical Workers
Flying out of sister city Sayama, Japan’s Iruma Air Base on May 29, 2020, the Japanese Blue Impulse aerobatic flight team few across Sayama and the Tokyo area as a show of respect and appreciation to medical personnel who are responding to the coronavirus pandemic. Watch the video here:
The Blue Impulse team also performed at the 2016 Iruma Air Show. Watch the complete video here.
Tokyo 2020 Olympic updates
Although the 2020 Tokyo Olympics have been postponed, there is still a lot of planning and anticipation building for when athletes and fans from across the globe can come together for the Olympic Games in Tokyo. Sister city, Sayama, Japan is hosting the golf events. Keep updated through the links below.
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games
- Kasumigaseki Country Club Golf Venue
- Time-lapse video of Tokyo Olympics Venues under construction
Ikenobo Society of Floral Art, or Ikebana, is located in Kyoto, Japan, at a Buddhist temple called Rokkakudo. Rokku is the word for the number six because the temple has six sides. The school of Ikenobo is over 550 years old. One of the temple ikebana traditions is to have a flower arrangement on the front of the temple, something like altar flowers in church.
The video below shows a particular ceremony performed on April 17, 2020, to offer flowers more formally as part of a public prayer. Both the Headmaster of the school, Sen-ei Ikenobo, and his daughter, the Headmaster Designate, Senko Ikenobo, participate in this offering, side-by-side. In addition, they explain in Japanese, with English subtitles, the meaning of what they are doing. We hope you will find this video interesting and encouraging, as all of us are concerned about the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
More coronavirus related information and inspiring stories being shared during this global pandemic
- Is the Secret to Japan’s Virus Success Right in Front of Its Face? In America, masks have become a weapon in the culture wars. In Japan, wearing one is no big deal, and deaths have stayed low.
- Graduate School of Education PhD student hopes children’s art provides inspiration during the pandemic, a PhD student at University at Buffalo’s Graduate School of Education solicited artworks from children in seven countries since schools have closed due to the pandemic.
- 14 photos of uplifting street art from throughout Europe and North America spreading hope during the pandemic
- Kind, creative and connected in the age of COVID-19, featuring activities and ways to talk to kids about the pandemic.
- What life looks like in countries coming out of lockdown, personal accounts of daily life in countries around the world after their quarantines are lifted.
- Soap maker in Kenya refugee camp lowers prices to fight COVID-19, highlighting a Burundian refugee and businessman who raised production and lowered prices on his soap to fight COVID-19.
- "Unified in Spirit": The Irish give back to Navajo coronavirus relief, an On Point segment highlighting the donations from Ireland to the Navajo and Hopi Families COVID-19 Relief Fund, to say thank you for the donation by the Choctaw Nation during the Irish Potato Famine of the 1840s.
- Sister City News from across the globe from Sister Cities International