Northeast Gateway Project
Huntley - Wilson Bridge - Worthington-Galena Realignment Project
The City of Worthington is collaborating with the Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC) and the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) to improve congestion and traffic flow at the intersection of Huntley Road / Wilson Bridge Road / Worthington-Galena Road, which is also known as the "Northeast Gateway." Funding for the project will be provided through a combination of MORPC Attributable Funds, The Ohio Public Works Commission, and local dollars.
What is Happening with the Project Now?
The project is now underway! Preliminary utility construction has started. Crews are finishing up a project on Huntley Road to relocate a 12 inch waterline from the Worthington Galena Road intersection to the railroad tracks beside Grainger. Some finishing work remains, but the road reopened to traffic in both directions on November 26th.
Since March of 2018, staff has been working with a team of right-of-way acquisition professionals from ODOT, TranSystems, Frost Brown Todd and local utility companies. Nearly all of the land needed to relocate the existing roadways and build new ones has been acquired. Very soon you'll see the house at 431 E. Wilson Bridge Road and the building on the corner of Huntley and Worthington-Galena demolished in advance of construction.
What will happen next?
Once the buildings have been demolished and sites cleaned up, Columbia Gas will begin relocating their lines throughout the winter and spring of 2020. Once that work is finished, we anticipate seeing the first construction crews out building roads in July of 2020. Currently, work is expected to take place through 2022.
- City Council Presentation - January 19, 2016
- 11/10/15 Public Involvement Meeting Summary and Response to Comments
- See all maps, handouts and related documents here
- Realign Huntley Road and the north leg of Worthington-Galena Road to the east to facilitate through movements in the north-south direction.
- Realign the south leg of Worthington-Galena Road to intersect Wilson Bridge Road west of the existing intersection.
- Cul-de-sac the existing Worthington-Galena Road, south of E. Wilson Bridge Road.
- New traffic signals at realigned intersections.
- New pavement, pavement markings and roadway signs.
- New pedestrian facilities including sidewalks, shared-use paths and accessible curb ramps.
- New pedestrian crossing countdown timers and push buttons at the signalized intersections.
- New street lighting.